Tuesday 28 June 2016

"HatTip" - Brexit!

Below is a cut 'n' paste from an email sent to all clients this morning.


We all get way too many emails. This is one of the reasons I don't bombard you with them. However, we live in interesting and unsettling times presently, and I hope you forgive this unsolicited entry to your "Inbox"!

Obviously, I am touching base with you on the back of last Thursday's EU Referendum result. Whichever way you voted, the outcome is what it is.

Let's quickly recap: UK markets, sterling etc went up strongly a week or so before 23rd June 2016. Although no-one really knows what individual factors drive markets,
in this instance, it is probably safe to assume the spike was on the back of a perceived "Remain" victory.

Of course, that was not the result. What spooks markets is not the foreseen: events that are likely to happen are already (and continuously) priced into the value of stocks and shares.

Markets are however thrown by the unforeseen. It is clear that is what has been happening over the last few days (although, as I write this, the FTSE-100 is up over 2% this morning. Market volatility can swing both ways!)


Short-term events should never derail long-term plans


Financial planning is about aligning your life goals with your money, to ensure you will always have enough of the latter to satisfy the former. Investment plans that will fuel your lifestyle costs for decades hence should never be held hostage to transitory "blips".

Some advisers will no doubt be telling their clients to "sell X fund" and "buy Y fund" instead. Others will be advocating market timing: selling all investments now, to run to cash, only entering the markets again when they are "safe". Good luck with that - it simply doesn't work.

Perhaps you are thinking "Stay calm? That's easy for you to say Nick!" Be assured: I invest my family's money into exactly the same portfolios as I recommend for my clients. I take my own medicine! What am I doing to my investments in light of "Brexit"? Nothing at all. Like you, I have a financial plan and I am sticking to it.

Should you wish to speak with me then please do so. Thank your for your time. And remember:

None of this is specific personal financial advice. Should you act on the contents of this email without first reading your own body weight in Key Features documentation, you may well be struck by lightning.

Nick Lincoln
Director

{The above is not specific financial advice aligned to your unique circumstances and requirements. If you act on this article without first reading your own body weight in Key Features Documents, personal illustrations and fund fact-sheets then you may well be struck down by lightning.}
© 2016 Nick Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment